Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A day in the life of my OH SO STELLAR graphics card

Occasionally I like to treat everyone to glimpses of Second Life through the eyes of Emerald. Like my yard, for instance:


Hey, look at my dodos and my Amaretto unicorns!

I don't know what's going on with my graphics card. When I ordered this MacBook Pro, I customized it to be optimized for gaming. It was awesome for a while and then I must have broken it. Now I see that the newer versions have even better graphics cards. Damn you, Apple.

Unfortunately it's even worse at my grandmother's house. She has no Internet because she "never got the hang of it," despite our best efforts to teach her. So for the past two weeks, I've been tethering my iPhone to my computer and using it as a personal Hotspot. ("OOOOH BABY, LET ME SHOW YOU MY HOTSPOT!") I exceeded my data allowance a few days ago. Can't wait to get that bill.

It sucks though. It gets me online, but forget about high speeds or decent graphics or anything that lets me have a normal Second Life. And oh how I've needed a normal Second Life this month. Any normalcy anywhere would be nice. Instead I kind of just grope around at shapes and put blobs down on the ground and hope that it's the right food for the right blobby animals and wander around and attempt to check things out and fail.


This newish Truth hair is called Fiona. See why he begs me to blog his hair every week?


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SECOND LIFE! The installations this year are truly awesome!

Speaking of awesome SLB8 installations, if you've never owned breedable KittyCatS and want to try one out, you can click the hat and get a free limited edition kitty, complete with food and accessories, at the SLB8 KittyCatS exhibit:


HELP WHAT IS THAT THING?!


GET IT AWAY FROM ME!

Yeah, so SLB8 isn't working out so well for me right now. Hopefully I'll get out of Iowa someday soon and will still have time to check it out when I get home. In the meantime, you can see what the free cat really looks like HERE on the KittyCatS Website. The festivities run through July 2. For a list of other great SLB8 freebies, check out the Lucky Kitty Crew blog HERE and HERE.

Let's stop looking at pathetic pictures. I did manage to take one that almost looks decent:


Ooooooh! I was shocked when two rather ordinary cats gave birth to this snowshoe lilac with rainbow prism eyes. So shocked, in fact, that I immediately put it up for sale in Emerald's Magical Cat Shack.

Yeah, sadly I'm about to slaughter, sell or box up all my animals. I would like to try to wean myself off SL a little, and I can't do that when I'm constantly worrying about feeding fake animals. The KittyCatS in particular will be painful, but DAMN, I can't afford the Perma-Pet vitamins to turn my favorite ones into low-maintenance pets. As much as I love these cats and their creators, I'm unhappy about the insane amount of lindens (1500L - 1800L) it costs to turn these cats into non-breedables. With the horses, the dodos and the Wildwoods, I simply have to click a button on the menus and my lindens get to breathe a sigh of relief. The fact that I have nurtured and loved some of these damn KittyCatS for more than 120 days — when their breeding cycles have officially ended — and STILL have to pay 1500L to turn each one of them into "pets" makes me want to THROW A BIG DAMN TANTRUM JUST LIKE THIS ONE RIGHT HERE. /END RANT.

Sorry. I'm grumpy. My Aunt Who is Apparently Always on Speed or at Least Adderall has decided that "all the girls in the family" need to go get pedicures together today to take our minds off the death of my grandmother yesterday. This sounds like agony to me. I would rather get a root canal with no novocaine right now. At least then I'd have a legitimate reason to scream. It's almost like everyone in this family is afraid to be alone and quiet for five minutes. Me, I need time to myself to finally let go and breathe. But it's not going to happen. We don't "mope around" in this family. I told my mom I was boycotting the pedicure thing and she started bawling and slinging guilt trips at me and telling me that I'm selfish. I feel like I'm going insane. I'm tired of not being selfish. If I didn't want to make a bad situation worse, I'd put on a huge tiara, proudly proclaim myself Queen of All the Selfish Assholes in the World and go back to bed for the day.

I guess I'm off to soak my feet in a big bath of denial and get my toes painted something cheery. :(

Get your free SLB8 limited-edition KittyCat here: SLB8 KITTYCATS EXHIBIT . . . or buy a sparkly one at EMERALD'S MAGICAL CAT SHACK

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Emerald. First off, my sympathies on the death of your Grandmother.

Second, I would have certainly backed you up on your need for "selfish" time rather than a pedicure. After you gave so much of your time before your Grandmother died, you have earned the right to grieve in the way YOU choose, not giving into guilt trips. Gah, this is why I no longer associate with my family.

Third, I'd love a KittyCat, but yes, it's highway robbery. Someone needs to take the creators who came up with that vitamin idea to a BDSM sim and hit them with a riding crop a few times.

Fourth: *hugs* Just remember that no matter what we'll support you, even if it's in spirit. (I promise if I ever return to Memphis, you may get to meet me in person though)

Lysistrata Szapira

p.s. My captcha is "sinstive." LOL I guess this must mean I'm sensitive about my sins. ;)

Emerald Wynn said...

Lysis, your comment made me laugh. So did your captcha. I feel bad for ranting about the KittyCatS - they have bought joy and fun to my life. And big, big Visa bills.

YES! Do let me know if you come to Memphis! We can go to Graceland and make fun of all the tourists! ♥

P.S. I ultimately won the pedicure battle. I think emotions are running high right now. The fact that we were all screaming about pedicures is proof enough that we could probably all use a little quiet time. And sedatives. And vodka.

Heidi Halberstadt said...

"I feel bad for ranting about the KittyCatS - they have BOUGHT joy and fun to my life. And big, big Visa bills."

Freudian slip there?

Heidi

Deoridhe said...

ooooh, those eyes are gorgeous!

I have shiny rainbow horsie eyes now that make me rilly happy. XD

Fidella Faulds said...

Hey, Em. Much condolences on the passing of your grandmother. Sincerely.

Now, you mentioned you'd been layed/laid/lied off. This would be a great time for you to write that book we'd all love to read. I seriously look forward to your posts and savor every word and turn of phrase.